Are you considering the awe-inspiring beauty of black kitchen cabinets? Black is the new “in color” in kitchen design and décor. The effect can be very dramatic or even breathtaking – but only if it is done well.
You can use black for contrast in many kitchen styles. You could use a large black cabinet to offset and provide contrast in a predominantly white kitchen. You could also use an island with a base of black cabinets for contrast with cabinets made of almost any wood or finish.
Choosing ebony kitchen cabinets for a kitchen remodel could produce an exceptional result. It could also be costly. The alternative would be to use cabinets painted black, which could cost less than most other wood styles and finishes because the grain of the wood would not matter. This means you can expect to find black cabinets in a range of prices.
Before you decide to use all black cabinets in designing your kitchen, there are several things to consider. Here are some things you should think about in your planning.
- Your kitchen cabinets can account for as much as 75 percent of all visible surface areas in your kitchen.
- Black can be perfect for a contemporary style kitchen, with its sleek smooth lines and minimal ornamentation.
- Black in perfect if you are trying to achieve a high-tech look in your kitchen.
- Black goes with any other color.
- Black cabinetry is a stunning contrast to stainless steel appliances and plumbing fixtures.
- Gray, cream, white or other light earth tones can work well as contrast to black cabinets.
- White can be a perfect choice for ceilings, walls and or floors.
- Black and white is a perfect combination, but white appliances do not work with black cabinetry.
- Counter tops in silver, white, cream or butcher block are very attractive.
- Combining black cabinets with a black floor will make the room look small and cramped.
- Black cabinets will work best in a kitchen with a large amount of natural light – large windows, etc.
- If a kitchen using black cabinets does not have natural light, you will need several lighting fixtures and over-counter sources that supply bright artificial light.
- A light-colored tile floor is perfect with black cabinets.
- Use of darker colors for walls, floor or ceiling will make the room too dark.
- Light and bright-colored small appliances (blender, toaster, coffee maker) provide spots of color that break the dark cabinets and offer focal points in your kitchen.
Use black cabinetry in kitchens of any style. Country style kitchens can also use distressed black cabinetry. Black can provide an accent or a focal point in your kitchen or it can define the background for your counter tops, appliances and plumbing fixtures.
If you are planning to remodel, upgrade or add a kitchen in a contemporary style, especially if you are considering the “high-tech” look, consider black kitchen cabinets. Use black for accent or for background.
It is perfect in combination with stainless steel appliances, sinks and lighting or with light colors. By providing plenty of light, you can create a spectacular and unique kitchen design.